Node4 have recently achieved a RIPE 4 star IPv6 rating, meaning they have all the requirements needed to deliver IPv6 services to their customers.
RIPE NCC created a rating system, in which LIRs (Local Internet Registries) can gain up to 4 stars for IPv6 services, depending on the following criteria:
The list contains a comprehensive database of all LIRs and DAUs (Direct Assignment Users) with 4 star IPv6 RIPEness offering services in the UK, of which just 8% of all LIR’s in the UK achieved.
In order to achieve this rating, Node4 have had to complete the following steps:
- Get IPv6 address space from the RIPE NCC
- Have the address space visible in global routing
- Register a ‘route6′ object for this address space in the RIPE database
- Have reverse DNS for this address space set-up
What does this mean for Node4 customers?
Node4 can offer IPv6 addresses with full access to the IPv6 Internet.
- Use these IPv6 addresses to dual stack (equipment has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses) your network equipment to enable testing of IPv6 on your existing connections alongside your IPv4 connectivity
- Avoid rising costs of additional IPv4 addresses by utilising IPv6 connectivity
- Avoid possible future accessibility issues as more of the internet transitions to IPv6.
For more information on how to deploy IPv6 to your own network, read Node4′s white paper here.